Barons Official Sponsor

Girls Junior Varsity Soccer, Girls Varsity Soccer · Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Girls Varsity Soccer falls to Sherwood High School=>Senior Night! 2-1

Monday, October 17, 2016

7:15 PM

Sherwood High School=>Senior Night!

Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School

Game Recap

B-CC Celebrates Senior Night and is topped by Sherwood 2-1.
Senior Night at Sherwood! An exciting contest ensued from the very beginning, when a handball in the box created a penalty kick opportunity for Sherwood. A perfectly placed ball in the low right corner found the net, just out reach of junior goalkeeper Carli Boyer. Her diving attempt to save the goal resulted in a hip injury, sidelining her for the remainder of the game. Fellow junior Sally Egan stepped in at goal and notched several saves throughout the match.

Down 1-0, B-CC maintained possession for the majority of the first half, but luck was not on their side. A corner kicked by senior Georgia Tinsley created an opportunity in front of the goal – but the ball did not find the net. Tinsley had two shots on goal in the half, both of which were saved. Senior Becca Boden’s shot was deflected by the goalie, and earned B-CC a corner kick. Senior Olivia Siegel’s shot hit the cross bar for another corner opportunity – and a few minutes later freshman Jessie Gomez took a shot on goal and hit the cross bar. It ricocheted right back to her, she shot again and the Sherwood goalie made the save. In all, B-CC had 4 corners in the first half, and as many shots on goal – but no score.

The second half opened for the Barons much like the first—dominating the field but unable to find the net. Shots by Siegel, juniors Sophia Wallach, Caroline Ward, and Avery Butterfield were all saved by the Sherwood goalie. Ultimately, it was sophomore Shelby Fountain, pulled up from JV a few days earlier, who found the net for the Barons. Her initial shot bounced off the post and was crossed back to her, for a beautiful one-touch into the net that the overtaxed Sherwood goalie couldn’t reach. Sherwood was unable to make much of an offensive push the entire game, but with 12 minutes left, they were awarded a free kick at about the 30 yard line. Sherwood launched a high, arching ball over the fingertips of Egan and into the net for their second goal. The Barons kept fighting, with additional shots by Gomez, Butterfield, Siegel, and a corner by Tinsley, which was headed toward the net by Wallach but saved by the exceptional Sherwood keeper. Final score: 2-1 Sherwood.